Delicious, relatively healthy, and as easy to make as pancakes! I made these for dinner last night, and they heat up nicely on the skillet for lunch! I’ve included the original recipe, and my changes are in parentheses.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (1tsp. taco seasoning or cajun spices or both!)
- 2/3 cup frozen white corn kernels
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped (or no cilantro if you hate it. I didn’t use any because I’m a college student and that cannot be bought frozen/canned…)
- 1 cup nonfat milk (or 1%)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or none, this is just to sprinkle on top anyways)
- Low-fat sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cumin (or whatever spices) in a medium/large bowl. Mix in corn, beans, cilantro, milk, and 1 tbsp olive oil until a thick batter forms. Heat a little olive oil or spray pam in a large pan over high heat. Drop batter in 3-tbsp increments to form cakes, just like breakfast pancakes. Cook for 1–2 minutes per side or until the sides dry and bubbles form on the tops. Top with sour cream or yogurt, and a dusting of chili powder if you like!
Eat. Love. Repeat.